Sodium Phytate is the sodium salt of Phytic Acid, a saturated cyclic acid. Phytic Acid is found abundantly in plant tissues, especially bran and seeds, where it acts as the principal storage form of phosphorus.
Chelating agents are commonly added to cosmetic formulations to act as a preservative potentiator, Micro organisms need trace metals for cell wall maintenance and survival. Chelants bind with these metals, making them unavailable to bacteria, thereby weakening bacteria and allowing cosmetic preservatives to work more efficiently. EDTA is commonly added to cosmetic formulations for this purpose and Sodium Phytate should have a similar function.
In addition to its chelating properties, Sodium Phytate has other skin benefits:
- Moisturizes skin
- Improves skin elasticity
- Normalizes oily skin
- May help reduce pore size
- Helps lighten skin
- May help improve the appearance of cellulite
Sodium Phytate is fully neutralized and has a pH of ~12
INCI: Sodium Phytate
- Add to the water phase of any formulation
- Not suitable for anhydrous (all-oil) formulas
- Not heat sensitive, can be added to water phase prior to heating
- Adjust pH of formula to pH 6.0 or below.
Recommended Usage Rate:0.05 – 0.5%